Fava Beans with Meyer Lemons
And get them when you are full of peaceful zen and patience.
To me, Fava Beans are vegetable divas. They require TWO peelings. But there is a reason why Mother Nature gave it so much padding - to protect it's yummy center.
POUND of fava beans PER PERSON. Serious. There is a lot of organic compostable waste in fava beans.
First, you remove the pods from the bean.
Then, blanch the pods in boiling water for a minute or so.
The pods look milky white. But you aren't done. You need to remove that white layer to grab the beautiful green fava bean.
Finally, after getting to the fava, you might be exhausted. So go simple and saute the beans with some olive oil and Meyer lemon zest. Finish with some good sea salt and cracked pepper.
Fava Beans with Meyer Lemon
2. Blanch beans for a minute or so.
3. Remove the outer milky layer to reveal a bright green bean.
4. Saute beans in olive oil.
5. Zest a lemon into the pan, to taste.
6. Top with sea salt and cracked pepper. Serve immediately (well, after you take a photo! :)
Here's some other recipes:
LA Times: 6 Recipes for Fava Beans
The Kitchn: 5 Ways to Cook Fava Beans