Blueberry Buckle - King Arthur Flour

Monday, June 25, 2012

Blueberry Buckle

Oh man, the buckle is one of the most awesome baked good ever. It's a fruity coffee cakey delight. I've made a nectarine buckle, lemon blueberry buckle, peach blueberry buckle - all delicious.This time, I made King Arthur's Blueberry Buckle.

Blueberry Buckle collage
I bought a big box of fresh blueberries and knew I had to bake something with them! Although the recipe doesn't call for this, I recommend adding 75% of the blueberries to the batter. Spread the batter into the pan, and then sprinkle the remaining 25% blueberries on top. Follow that with the crumb topping. Leaving some blueberries on top guarantee that the little blueberries don't all fall into the cake.

Blueberry Buckle
It was really early in the morning when I made this and forgot to add the lemon zest! Be sure you add that for a fresh taste.

Blueberry Buckle
Um, nothing like warm cake for breakfast!

Blueberry Buckle
I dropped this box off for my former co-workers. I got a message back from one of them saying they did their buckle dance. :) That's why baking for others is just awesome.

King Arthur Flour: The Baker's Companion
Blueberry Buckle (page 132-133)

Topping
3/4 cup (5 1/2 ounces) sugar
3/4 cup (3 ounces) flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 1/3 tablespoons (2/3 stick) butter (I only used 1/2 stick of butter because I didn't want a leftover 1/3 stick. The batter uses 1/2 stick so I used a total of 1 stick of butter for the whole cake. It turned out fine with the 1/2 stick in the topping).
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon zest, or 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil (I skipped this part because I forgot to include it!)

Batter
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk (I used low-fat milk)
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups blueberries (fresh or if frozen, unthawed) (I used fresh blueberries)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prep (grease and flour) a 9-inch square or 9-inch round pan. I like to line the pan with a parchment paper sling for easy removal.
2. Topping: Mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Cut or rub in the butter with the side of a fork, two knives or your finger tips until it reaches a crumbly state. Set aside.
3. Batter: Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set aside. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter. Then add the egg and vanilla. Alternately add the milk and the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, ending with flour. Do not overmix. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Assemble: Pour batter into cake pan. Sprinkle the topping over the batter and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a cake tester or knife comes out clean.
5. Let the buckle cool for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife or spatula. Cool on a wire rack.

King Arthur has an online Blueberry Buckle but it is a little different than the one in the printed King Arthur Flour cookbook. Here it is though: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/blueberry-buckle-coffee-cake-recipe

Pin It!

7 comments:

Riley said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for sharing! I do the same thing with blueberry muffins. I always save some to put on top before they go in the oven!

Christine Witt (Brush Dance) said... [Reply to comment]

Mmm! I think I need to head off to Whole Foods and get some berries RIGHT NOW!

Amy said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! I totally starred this since I'm getting 2 gallons of blueberries this week. This looks so good!

Trevor Sis Boom said... [Reply to comment]

Oh yes. I do think I will have to make buckles for the morning office crowd. I am in need of some adulation these days and this will surely get it for me!

Esther said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Mary - I just stumbled on your food blog. Where have I been? :)

Wow... you have a great web site. I love blueberry buckle.
I think I will make this recipe this weekend. This look really good.

Like you, I bake for my co-workers (I can't possibly eat everything I make). I hope they do a buckle dance too :).

Great job!
Esther

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I make a raspberry buckle...same idea but w/o the crumble on top....so good! -Barbara

ally said... [Reply to comment]

gorgeous job -- my kind of breakfast!
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Ads that help me buy some ingredients