I heard about the popular Couch to 5K program...taking you from couch potato to a 5K or at least 30 minutes of running in less than 10 weeks. I didn't believe it.
But then I purchased the Get Running App from the Apple store (only $1.99) and loaded it on my iPod Touch.
And wouldn't you know it? It totally freaking worked!
Starting with 1 minute runs (I wanted to die during the first ones), the program gradually gets you running! An English woman gets you going with encouragements. You can read my detailed account of the app on this July 2010 post (including me hating the woman who speaks to you at first, then liking her)
Some programs have little bleeps or bells, but Get Running has an English woman guiding you through the workout and gives you encouragement. She says things like:
Today we are going to run... five 10-minute runs
You are halfway done, turn around and head home if you need.
You have one minute left (with enthusiasm)!
You have run 20 minutes! You have 5 minutes remaining.
Today's run is only 2 minutes longer than last week.
Great job! Congratulations!
The nice peeps at Get Running have given me 10 apps to give away so you can try the program out! The program is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. Before you laugh at the idea of someone running with their iPad (like I was), people had used the iPad with their treadmill. Ahhh...that makes sense. But it's only compatible with those devices so only enter if you have one of them, okay?
Giveaway:1. You need to have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. Please don't enter if you don't have one of these devices.
2. If you win, you need to download the app within 2 weeks. No, you don't need to start using the app...but why wait? Get a properly fitted pair of running shoes and good socks and you are ready to go!
3. To enter, just leave a comment. Make sure your email is on your Google login, or you leave your email address in the comment.
4. If you don't win, don't fret...you can buy the GetRunning app for only $1.99 in the Apple store.
5. And remember, I may be totally enthusiastic about this program...but please note that the $1.99 app does not get you out of bed in the morning, put on your shoes and get you butt out the door. Just sayin'. Just wanna be clear about it.
6. You have until Monday, March 28, 2011, Midnight PDT to enter. :) I'll do a random drawing for the 10 winners.
Disclosure: I did not receive anything from the makers of Get Running App for this post. They are offering the 10 apps free to the winners. Opinions about the app, the lady on the app, and running in general are my own. ;) - mary the food librarian
*** Updated: Contest is closed. Winners listed here. ****