Day 19 of I Like Big Bundts: 30 Days of Bundt Cakes
Fuyu Persimmon Bundt
Fuyu Persimmon Bundt
Ever play Monopoly with children who haven’t read all the directions? (Like who has?) And suddenly, the new rules say they are able to roll twice or buy all the hotels for 50% off?
Well, the I Like Big Bundts project is my Monopoly game and I’m making up the rules! ;)
I decided early on to repeat two Bundts (less than 10% of the total project) because I want to showcase my favorite Bundts. I'm actually baking them again, not just reaching back into the archives...but I couldn't let this Bundterrific extravaganza go by without highlighting my two FAVORITE Bundts ever. Making them again was like visiting an old friend. A delicious friend, that is.
Today, it’s the Fuyu Persimmon Bundt from Sunset Magazine.
1. Fuyu Persimmon – squat, persimmon that CAN be eaten hard, like an apple. I like to peel the skin, but it is edible. Photo above.
2. Hachiya Persimmon – heart shaped persimmon that MUST be totally soft and cannot be eaten hard. If you eat a hachiya before it is soft, it will horribly scar you! You will run from persimmons for the rest of your life, screaming like a little child (I’ve seen it before!). It will taste completely chalky and yucky. So, please don’t confuse the fuyu (eat hard) and the hachiya (eat soft).
Here is my original post from last year. I went back into the library's invaluable collection of Sunset Magazines. First published in the October 1978 issue of Sunset Magazine as "Crisp Persimmon Cake" by E.F. of Palo Alto, CA.
Fall. On. A. Plate.
If the Food Librarian played baseball...she wouldn't hit, she would always Bundt. Ha ha ha. There is your Bundt pun of the day.
From my parent's fuyu persimmon tree!
Tomorrow, wouldn't you know it? I'll have another Bundt! :) - mary the food librarian
Fuyu Persimmon Bundt (Updated 10/2015 - I heard the link is dead so I inserted the recipe below)
from California Fuyu Grower's Association (originally from Sunset Magazine, 1978)
Fuyu Persimmon Bundt Cake Recipe
Adapted from Sunset Magazine. Also appears in Cake Simple by Christie Matheson
3 cups firm Fuyu persimmons (about 3 persimmons), chopped (NOT Hachiya persimmons)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup or 1 stick or 4 ounces butter, softened
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare 12-cup Bundt pan by spraying it with baking spray or greasing and flouring the pan. (My favorite Bundt pans are Nordic Ware and my favorite baking spray is Bak-Klene brand)
3. Fruit: In a medium bowl, mix the chopped fuyu persimmons with 2 teaspoons baking soda. Set aside.
4. Dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5. Using a mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
6. With the mixer on slow speed, add the fruit mixture into the batter.
7. On slow speed, add the flour mixture and mix just until blended. It's okay if it's not fully blended as you'll fold the last ingredients next.
8. Fold in the walnuts and raisins. The batter will be thick.
9. Pour batter into Bundt pan. Smooth the top.
10. Bake for 55-60 minutes until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
11. Cool in the Bundt pan for 15 minutes then invert onto cooling rack and let cool.
I Like Big Bundts recap:
The Food Librarian confesses: I Like Big Bundts
Day 1: Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Buttermilk Icing
Day 2: Chocolate-Cinnamon Bundt Cake with Mocha Icing
Day 3: Pumpkin-Apple Spiced Bundt
Day 4: Cinnamon Ripple Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 5: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt
Day 6: Cardamom Vanilla Bundt
Day 7: Monkey Bread in a Bundt
Day 8: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt
Day 9: Coconut Bundt
Day 10: Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 11: Mom's Apple Cake Bundt
Day 12: Meyer Lemon Bundt
Day 13: Candy Corn Jello Bundt
Day 14: Spiced Cranberry Bundt
Day 15: Blueberry-Buttermilk Bundt
Day 16: Nutella Bundt
Day 17: Carrot Walnut Bundt
Day 18: Pear Ginger Bundt